Saturday, January 23, 2010

What are Theories?

Three-dimensional maze

My answer to that is a big "HUH?"
I hope this class will help me to understand the many theories I am sure we will be asked to interpret. I generally don't think about which one to apply while I am reading a novel, watching a film, or listening to music. This class will be a definite challenge for me. The thing I use to help understand different types of art is the point of view of the character or characters involved in the plot or lyrics. Surely, there must be some term for this. There are also, as many classmates echoed, the historical, social, and cultural times in which a piece is written to consider in understanding a piece of art. If one knows what was going on in the year a novel was written, the language and theme of it make more sense. This allows the reader to move on with the rest of the plot, rather than dwelling on why an author may be using a specific language or slang. I hope my confused mind will come up with a clearer understanding of critical theories, because currently they remind me of mathematical equations. Math tends to bring me thoughts of running in front of oncoming traffic. I am an English major so I bring optimism that Critical Theory will not be as horrific. Wish me luck. I am certain I will need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment