Saturday, May 15, 2010

Orientalism Presentation

My contribution to our group project had to with the finding quotes of Said and Foucault regarding the power struggles that the European culture wishes to have over the Middle Eastern culture. What I found during my research (which I did not express very well in the presentation) was that Said was, at one time, fond of Foucault's philosophy's, but then his opinion changed. It changed because, while Said was more interested in the human aspect of orientalism, Foucault spoke in more political term with less humanity towards the Middle Eastern people and culture. Said believed that Americans were more interested in how they want other cultures to be seen in the eyes of Europeans. Most of the time the people and culture was not presented in a positive light.
I also contributed to the brainstorming of ideas during our group get together in the Oviatt Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment